Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Judges

I read this today:
Luke 13: 1-5 "There were present at that season some who told Him about the galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answered and said to them, 'Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you , no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.'"
Oh how often my evil heart is caught by my mind judging others for such pathetic petty things let alone all the blown up evils I have assumed upon their consciences! It was pointed out to me that I have become very critical of others, which I solemnly note was the customary of those Jesus rebuked most harshly. Usually my intent is to think highly of myself if not as one who does better then at least as one who knows and understands more. Then I read this passage. I love that Jesus responds to a judgement by pointing the "judges" fingers right back in there own face after discrediting the judgement. I was reminded if we keep pointing at others and speaking of there evils continually, then we will perish thinking that we are glorious. 
laehciM

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats quite a realization. I think its very human to think that we have better understanding than others, but part of the maturing process to realize that we don't. My understanding has changed dramatically through the years & I'm so thankful for the people I've run across who have changed it. So much of our thinking is guided by our culture and the beliefs that we were raised in. Those things are just as easily wrong as they are right. Discovering which is which has been a wonderful and exciting process for me.

Will said...

Recently I heard a similar comment, that: Jesus didn't come to directly eradicate issues on a political level, social evils, or religious discord. Since even the blatant issues remained after Jesus ascended... the Romans continued to occupy Israel, the Temple was desecrated just 40 years later, and the Jews were banished from Jerusalem shortly after that. Above all else Jesus directly targets the spiritual matters... Spiritual issues are the nerve point of all other issues and but eventually effect lasting change.

mewilliams said...

1rst coment:
may God continue to blossom you into who He wants you to be.

2nd: I agree. I love that He doesn't get pulled aside by issue that are less important or distracting.
laechiM